Saturday, May 3, 2014

Playing Catch-Up: Audubon Acres

 

So, you may be wondering where I’ve been.  I guess I just needed a break from blogging.  It’s a lot of work, and I choose to do it with no intent for income, so it’s just a hobby really.  There are times when I think, “I should blog that!”, but then I don’t.  And that’s ok.  But I’m here now, and I’d like to tell you about some cool things we’ve done this year. 

IMG_8782 copy

First up is our field trip to Audubon Acres.  Audubon Acres is part of Chattanooga’s oldest wildlife sanctuaries. This is an excellent place to get away from it all, (even in the middle of a major Chattanooga suburb.)  The occasional train passing by is your only reminder of where you are!   

The trails here are perfect for a nature walk.  I gave my kids some magnifying glasses to help keep their hands busy and not disturbing the wildlife.  That really worked!  Don’t forget the bug spray! 

Audubon Acres also ties in to our search for Cherokee locations.  Not only is this site rich in Cherokee history, (being the home of Little Owl, brother of Dragging Canoe,) but it’s also part of the Cherokee Arboretum and display signs about the plants here are in English and Cherokee, AND tells about how the Cherokee used each plant.  Very fascinating info here for Mom and Dad especially. Inside the visitor’s center there are displays of Native American artifacts and history of the area.  We enjoyed having a look around.

Check out all the the Chattanooga Audubon Society has to offer.  Take a look at their calendar for all their events, or just pick a pretty day and take a picnic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment